March 1, 2010

3 Quarks Daily Arts & Lit Blogging Prize

If you'd like to show your appreciation for good blog writing about literature and the arts, click on over to 3 Quarks Daily and take a look at their nominees for the 2010 3QD Prize in Arts and Literature. The editors invited nominations of blog posts of no more than 4000 words, written since February 21, 2009. I've begun browsing through the entries and it seems like a lively and predictably eclectic selection. Since they encouraged self-nominations, I threw one of my own posts into the ring, my review of Daniel Mendelsohn's The Lost. I chose it because the book absolutely topped my list of notable reads last year, because writing about it as well as I could was important to me, and because I was reasonably satisfied that I had said what I wanted to about it. Also, one of my most trusted readers wrote me to say that she thought it was the best thing I'd ever written on my blog. I have no idea how it holds up to whatever the standard will be for winning the competition, though I think it's a safe bet, given my obscurity, that it won't win in the public voting--if you think it's any good, though, do come by and click on the button for me. Or, if in general you think it's a good thing that people write thoughtfully about literature and the arts for love, for free, and for everyone to read, vote for whichever post you think exemplifies the best of public criticism.

March 10: I'm very proud to say that my post has been selected as one of the finalists to be judged by Robert Pinsky. Thanks to any of you who went and voted for me or were otherwise encouraging, and thanks also to the editors of 3 Quarks Daily for making me one of their 'wild card' picks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have my vote: you're off and running!

Unknown said...

What a nice way to put it! I hope you do make it past the voting round, but even if you don't, despair not: I'll have a close look at your essay, and it's possible it could get one of the additional three "wildcard" entry spots.

Rohan Maitzen said...

Thanks, Craig!

Abbas, thank you for stopping by to take a look, and for organizing this event. It's a great way to call attention to the range and quality of on-line writing that's available now, which is so vast that it's really hard for us to filter through on our own.