January 20, 2007

Nick Hornby, The Polysyllabic Spree

In addition to the reasons laid out in the introduction to this blog (see left), I wanted to try writing up informal notes on my reading because of my ever-increasing dissatisfaction with the kind of writing about books I am expected to do professionally, namely literary criticism. Although I believe that literary criticism has its own kind of interest and value, as an avid reader I often find it frustrating and bizarre when the conversation about a book becomes remote in both form and feeling from the conversation I think the book itself is supposed to be a part of. My own area of academic expertise, for example, is the Victorian novel, and if any one quality could be said to be typical of so many books so widely varying in subject and style, it would be a sense of engagement with the world--not that they aspire to represent it mimetically (any reader of Victorian fiction knows there is nothing naive about what often gets called its 'realism'), but that these books challenge their readers to think and care about all aspects of social, political, economic, and romantic life. "Dear reader!" Dickens concludes his polemical anti-Utilitarian novel Hard Times. "It rests with you and me, whether, in our two fields of action, similar things shall be or not. Let them be!" And of course his "Let them be!" is a call to action, not to complacency or passivity: let the world be the way you and I can imagine it to be, better, more just, more loving, more humane. But current literary criticism communicates little of this urgency, and none of Dickens's humour, or, as he would have it, fancy.

My concern is not so much that literary criticism is often written in difficult, obscure prose (after all, every specialization requires its own jargon)--although I have finally achieved the courage and professional security to adopt Nick Hornby's poetry-reading philosophy for my own reading of criticism and theory ("If something doesn't give you even a shot at comprehension in the first couple of readings, then my motto is "F--k it" [p. 91, my polite hyphens]). My objection is more that we have distanced ourselves so completely from ordinary conversation about books that we have become irrelevant to all readers but ourselves. Of course, there are some exceptions, academics who have produced the textual equivalents of cross-over albums. But most of us know that when we write and publish even our most supposedly ground-breaking article, it is destined straight for the dustbin of other scholars' footnotes. Most of us are presumably OK with this result, or there would be a revolution. Or perhaps the necessity of publishing such material to secure and keep our jobs and our professional credibility drives doubts away. But Dickens, to stick with my example (not least because he is one of Hornby's favourite examples as well), certainly hoped his words had more life in them than that.

All this is by way of saying that I wanted to experiment a little with writing in a different way about books, a way that would reflect my experience of reading them and thinking about them in a more immediate, personal way than academic writing allows without letting go altogether of the analytic habits built up by years of professional training. Surely there can be an informed, educated conversation about literature that allows, for one thing, for judgment, for values, for affect, for liking and disliking. And, of course, there is such a conversation--indeed, there are many such conversations today, just not in the pages of academic journals. One contribution that I have just finished re-reading is Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree.

I first read sections of this book last year, when a graduate student passed it on to me thinking (rightly) that I would enjoy Hornby's infatuation with David Copperfield (thanks, El!). Since I began thinking about alternatives to academic criticism, partly through my work on 19th-century literary reviewing, I have begun looking for examples of contemporary writing about books that achieves something like the balance I am interested in between analysis and immediacy, and going back to Hornby's collection this week, I think he gets fairly close. Unlike those in Sara Nelson's So Many Books, So Little Time, for example, which I am reading now, Hornby's commentaries, though engagingly personal and idiosyncratic, focus primarily on the books and not on himself. He attends to questions of craft, though my academic side wishes he would introduce some technical terms here and there for greater precision, and he thinks about the books in terms of the means they use to their ends while still considering also the value of those goals. For all his breezy style, he has a knack for summary judgments, as when, after recounting a particularly horrific detail from a rape scene in Pete Dexter's Train, he objects that it seemed to have happened "through a worldview rather than through a narrative inevitability" (97). For me, the great charm of this collection is its combination of these moments of intense literary and moral scrutiny with irreverence and humour. Who says you can't be both serious and funny? I loved his idea of the "Cultural Fantasy Boxing League" in which, he supposes, "books would win pretty much every time. Go on, try it. 'The Magic Flute' v. Middlemarch? Middlemarch in six..." (58). Of course!

But Hornby really won me over when he articulated what I think book lovers everywhere feel: the extent to which our own libraries are extensions or reflections of our identities. This is why we recoil from well-intentioned and practical advice to 'clear some space' on our existing bookshelves to make room for new purchases! "I suddenly had a little epiphany," he says, as he files away some volumes: "all the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. . . . with each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase, our libraries become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not" (125).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I received my most recent amazon.ca order in the mail. The order originated when I noticed that amazon had the latest Guy Gavriel Kay book on sale, and ended 45 minutes later after I decided that four books should be my limit for an order that wasn't meant as a gift and wasn't funded by a gift. How exciting to open up the box and find not only Ysabel, but also The World is Flat, The Herbalist's Garden, and Tea Gardens - Places to Make and Take Tea. Are these books a reflection of my identify? At a minimum they are a reflection of what I would like to be doing (sitting in my garden with a cup of tea and reading a fantasy novel) and what I deal with at work each day (globalization). Will I read them? Probably bits and pieces snuck in between childcare & work. Will I object if someone tries to take them away? Definitely.

As I pointed out to Joe, each one costs less than a good bottle of wine and last a lot longer.